So one of my current projects is a mapping robot that sends its sensor info over RF. I haven't messed around with wireless communication for a while so thought it would be fun to see what I can't remember.
I'm starting off with some cheap RF modules I have lying around in my robotics lab.
It all started off very well, I love these modules because they are so simple to connect and code that you can finish a decent project in about half a day or so - perfect as I rarely seem to get more than a few hours to do my own robotics projects.
To ensure the modules still work, I hooked them up to a couple of Arduino boards and downloaded some example code that flashes LEDs in turn on each of the boards to show successful transmit and receive. Honestly it looked like it was working fine - though the flashing did seem a little bit off when compared to the example.
Anyway, seeing as the modules both work I began to integrate them into my project, however found that the sending my own data, just wasn't working.
On closer inspection I realise I had wired up VCC and GND the wrong way round - Facepalm!!
How I did this I am not sure - I blame the fact that it is a gloriously sunny Sunday afternoon and I am tired after a long week of teaching - but what puzzles me more is the fact that something must have been working earlier for the LEDs to flash...hmmmm...
These kind of moments remind me of some great times at university during the robotics assignments and project work.
It would be great to hear about some of yours!